07 January 2010

The Biggest Man Made Forest in the World

Thursday 7th January 2010

'Despite the relatively dry climate, Johannesburg has over ten million trees,[and it is now the biggest man-made forest in the world..... planted by early (white) residents who moved into the areas (Parkhurst, Parktown, Parkview, Westcliff, Saxonwold, Houghton Estate, Illovo, Hyde Park, Dunkeld, Melrose, Inanda, Sandhurst) now collectively referred to as the Northern Suburbs retained many of the original trees with the encouragement of successive city councils. In recent years, however, a considerable number of trees have been felled, to make way for the Northern Suburbs' residential and commercial redevelopment' Wikipedia.

Wow, this project of mine is definitely getting me to learn about my country.... I did not know that I lived in the biggest man-made forest in the world! No wonder I am addicted... think of all the extra oxygen created... I always thought of Johannesburg as a concrete jungle as I need to be 'uber' vigilant all the time - just like in a jungle - and offcourse there are many, many monkeys all around found driving on the roads. South Africans must be the worst drivers in the world. No-one really cares about other drivers - try changing lanes, no-one lets you in. SA drivers are aggressive, arrogant, immature and downright stupid most of them because their infantile behaviour kills more poeple than AIDS or violent crime. The taxi drivers are the worst as they feel entitled to claim right of way everywhere - and if you dont let them they will ride over you. But it is not only the taxi drivers - most Joburg drivers are aggressive in their driving - in fact I was talking to a truck driver and was horrified at the stories I heard - how people cut in front of them so suddenly and then slow down - which is really a very dangerous thing to do. But enough of that, I am digressing....

As I live in a cluster, my garden is very small and yet it is full of trees. The year before I actually had to cut down at least ten trees because my little garden was starting to look like a forest - I did not realise that my garden was part of this man-made forest in Johannesburg. On the plus side, and there are definitely many, many plusses for living surrounded by trees, it is great to wake up every morning and look into this wonderfully greenery. Now come to think of it I do need to get rid of four more trees, they are big palm trees and they are taking over my garden. I was told that there are companies that will buy them from me - will come and take them out and replant them ... I must make enquiries - I do love the palm trees - they are beautiful but far too big... I was never very good at letting go of things.... am a hoarder by nature....

Gosh we do love to complain, even about too much of a good thing.... I am very happy to discover that I am addicted to living in this forest man-made or not - it makes the armed robbery I experienced two years ago bearable when I can balance it with the beauty of the ten million trees...

Besides their obvious value as producers of timber and food, trees provide sanctuaries for wildlife - no wonder we have so many birds in our suburbs. I wake up every morning with the sound of birds tweetering and I take that for granted. In most cities in the world you I wake-up with the screeching sound of busses, trucks or trains. Trees are also wonderful makers of places of comfort and recreation - there is nothing more fulfilling than sitting under the trees reading a book or just thinking .... something that I dont do as much as I should - its freely available and so I take it for granted..... until I no longer have it. Aren't we humans a strange species.... don't you just love it... to know how silly we all are and yet we take ourselves so seriously....

Enough philosophy for one day... gosh that sounded just like my children.. so its not only my parents talking to me in my head, now I have my children controlling my thoughts... I really need to go and sit under the tree ... till tomorrow.

No comments: