24 January 2010

The Champaigne Breakfast

Sunday 24th January 2010

Sunday has always been church day in South Africa. In fact when I was growing up that was the only thing you could do on a Sunday, except perhaps gowing to the dam, as everything else was closed. But the world has changed since then, and I am happy to say that SA has changed along with it - we now have the freedom of choice on how to spend our Sundays, church is one option among many. A popular form of Sunday entertainment is the Champaigne breakfast - well it turns out to be more a brunch as you really cant have any lunch after that.

I spent a good part of Sunday at a brunch held by Rotary, of which I am a proud member. This event was hosted by one of the members in their beautiful garden. Rotary is all about building friendships and this was a great way to get to know my fellow Rotarians a little better. Sharing the communal cooking, grouped around the 'Scuttle Braais', surrounded by a number of interesting simultaneous conversations, preparing mushrooms, tomatoes, eggs, bacon, sausages and even bananas, is not only fun but also connects people in a way that only food can. And the flapjacks - I cant forget the flapjacks with honey, cream and homemade icecream!! The wonderful weather and the great surroundings added another dimension to my life experience in SA.......

No comments: